Friday, June 11, 2010

Thursday June 10, 2010

It is the last day of real school because tomorrow is a half-day full of different activities. In reality today really isn’t even a real day. Grades were due today so there is no more teaching or testing. All I have for my students is a small presentation on the Seven Natural Wonders of the World and a survey to fill out, nothing too exciting. Tomorrow the students are going to get to watch the World Cup. As I write this in the cafeteria they are installing an antenna for this purpose. I don’t even know if an actual game is going to be on, but supposedly we are watching Mexico vs. South Africa. It must be a delayed recording of the game that is being shown at 8 am because I think the actual game is in the middle of the night Mountain Time. Either way it should be fun.

After the game (10 am) my Nivalacion kids are throwing me a going away party—two parties in two weeks from my Nivalaicion class. It should be a lot of fun as well. I bought two big bags of candy and a pencil for each student. I’ll make sure to get some video of this.

Speaking of video, I have made a few different videos that I have been unable to post on the blog because they would take too long to upload. Those will probably be posted once I get back to the United States and will probably be here on my blog under one entry as well as on my personal website. So look for those come the end of June.

The kids go home tomorrow at 12. I will probably clean up my room a little bit and eventually make my way back up to Villa Verde. After this I am embarking on my end of the year vacation.

When I first got down here and mentioned this to the other teachers, the possibility of taking a big trip at the end of the school year, I got a positive response from everyone. However, as time went on people began to drop like flies and at this point it is only going to be Rachel and I. We have been slowly planning the trip over the last couple of weeks and it is going to look something like this:

Friday after school we are going to head to Santa Rosa, which is about a little over an hour away from Gracias. We are staying there for a night and then heading up to Copan early Saturday morning. We need to be in Copan by noon so that we can catch a bus that will take us out of Honduras and into Guatemala. We will be heading up to the town of Antigua for about 6 days (we will be taking a few trips to other places around Antigua). The plan was to hike a volcano, which is near Antigua, but if you have been following the news at all that volcano is (was) erupting and tourists aren’t allowed near it (for unfortunate but obvious reasons). Antigua is quite the place though so there will be much to do.

After spending some time in Guatemala we are going to head back to Honduras on the 18th and make our way to San Pedo. We will spend the night in San Pedro and on the 19th head to Cieba (which is right on the Caribbean) where we will catch the 3 o’clock ferry to Roatan, the tropical islands off the coast of Honduras and the most touristy visited place in all of Honduras. We will be in Roatan for the 19th, 20th, and 21st and on the morning of the 22nd we will head back to Gracias.

The rest of my itinerary in Honduras looks like this:

We arrive (hopefully) back in Gracias on the 22nd and relax. On the 23rd we pack and visit with everyone in Villa Verde. On the 24th we will head back towards San Pedro and on the morning of the 25th we will be hopping on a plane bound for DTW, where we are supposed to land at 11:15 AM on June 25.

January 10 – June 25, 2010. That is my time in Honduras and it has been awesome. This will probably be my last entry while I am in Honduras because I will probably be too busy once I am back after the vacation. Plus, you know how long it took be to get something posted about Semana Santa.

So, to all of you who have kept in touch with me through this blog while I have been down here, thanks so much. I hope you had a few laughs and enjoyed reading about my experience. I will see many of you while I am home but for those of you who I might not see look for a link to my new blog starting the middle of August—Teach Spain.

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment