Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday March 14, 201
This morning I was sitting across the table from one of my best friends in college, with another sitting behind me in the living room, sitting next to a girl who lives 20 minutes from me back home in Michigan and another girl from Iowa, and talking with two 18 year old girls from Europe. All of this in rural Honduras. Now if that isn’t awesome I don’t know what is.

As you may or may not know I have a couple of really good college friends (Mike DeWit and Patrick Hughes) starting a microfinance company down here in Honduras (another one of my buddies, Andrew Boyd, is doing it with them, but he is still state-side). They are doing this in and around La Union, which is about an hour and a half bus ride from Gracias. I will write another blog entry about what they are doing later. They gave me a call Thursday night saying they were taking a break from work and doing some traveling and that they could hang out in Gracias this weekend. They had gotten to Honduras about 3 weeks ago and I hadn’t gotten a chance to connect with them yet so I was extremely excited.

On Friday afternoon I met them in town and grabbed some dinner and I showed them around. We then came up to Villa Verde (where I live outside of Gracias and where the school is at) and we all crashed up here both Friday and Saturday night. So those were my two good friends that were sitting with me this morning. The two Europeans were actually two girls who are working at the Abundant Life Christian School in La Union and who know Mike and Patrick but also know all the teachers here in Gracias because of the school connection. They came in last night and we all hung out. Renske and Laura are part of a program that sets them up as volunteers in Honduras for a year before they go to college in Europe. We have two girls from the same program at my school who help out the kindergarten and pre-school teachers. Then add Laura Beth to that mix of people and it was quite the group. It was just crazy to think about, mostly the fact that there I was in Honduras, eating pancakes with two of my best friends from college. Wild.

Anyway, I do realize it’s been over a week since my last post—which I don’t know how many people actually read (I was hoping for some more comments, but oh well). But it was a pretty busy week down here and I have been pretty exhausted with schoolwork and the warmer weather (it was 95 here Friday afternoon). But things are still going well. I am counting the days until spring break (11) and looking forward to our plans of going to Copan, San Pedro and Tela.

As mentioned above, this weekend was very good and I have spent most of today (Sunday) grading papers. The life of a teacher, even in Honduras.

Well, I need to get back to grading but I will try and be better about posting this week! Take care.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you were able to visit with your friends this weekend. And will pray for continued wisdom in all areas of your life.

    ReplyDelete