Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday March 21, 2010

Sorry for the delay. Midweek is always the busiest and come the weekend I am not on my computer that often. But here we go.

So the rest of the week went pretty well. The third marking period is winding down (this coming week in the last week) which means I am officially half way through my time teaching down here. That is hard to believe because I feel like I just left Detroit airport and was embarking on this experience. But here I am two and a half months in and half way through my time teaching. Time flies when you are having fun.

Yesterday (Saturday) was a pretty fantastic day. My spring break travel buddy Rachel and I went into town in search of a couple of things for our vacation to Copan and Tela next week. She was looking for a dress and I was looking for a cowboy beach hat and a pair of aviator sunglasses. We both proved successful and I am the official owner of some knock off Ray Ban aviators and a rather stellar looking cowboy hat (sorry, you will have to wait until break to see pictures). Now, first and foremost, I need to address the fact that I bought a cowboy hat. I have never been a big country fan and I strongly dislike country music. However, last week my buddy Mike mentioned that he had bought a cowboy hat and has been shaping it over the last several weeks. This got me thinking about how sweet it would be if both of us wore cowboy hats in Copan and Tela. We decided that that was what we were going to do, which led me to making the 200 lempira ($10) purchase yesterday. I’ve also wanted a pair of aviator sunglasses and it is now official, I will have a really bad 80’s look going on over break next week. Epic.

After we finished our shopping we were waiting for our mototaxi at Guancascos when we ran into Jennifer, one of the European girls we know. She was there with Renske and Laura (the two girls from last weekend who are from Europe) and they were getting ready to go to the hot springs. About 20 minutes away from Gracias (where I am at) there are natural hot springs that are an attraction to locals and tourists. Two of the girls’ program supervisors were in town and had a truck that they were going to take to the springs. They invited us and even though neither Rachel nor I had our swimsuits we went, because neither of us had been to the private hot springs, which is where they were going (these are evidently nicer and less busy then the public ones). The springs were fantastic. Unfortunately neither of us had our cameras so we didn’t get any pictures. But basically there are three main pools that vary in temperature because of their distance from the hot spring. There are then several smaller pools which are fed directly by the hot spring and which are rather hot—I went in one that we guessed was somewhere between 105 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit. It was just amazing to me that this hot water was natural. And as expected, the pools were very well kept and clean and were not that busy. We hung out there for almost 3 hours. We eventually made our way back to Gracias and back home. I considered the day seized and relaxed the rest of the night.

Anyway, I am off to the river to work on my base tan before next week so I’ll try and get another post done by midweek. I hope all is well for everyone back home. Take care.

4 comments:

  1. I just took some time to catch up on your writings...what an incredible journey you are embarking on. Everything sounds so interesting and beautiful. I'm so glad that you finally got a chance to read Teacher Man and that it has been inspiring! And Hot Springs, soccer and friends, so nice!!
    Enjoy your spring break. We are getting ready to go to MI for a couple nights away while Mom and Dad watch the boys, first time ever leaving them...lots of love from Amy and the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot Springs are more enjoyable naked anyways ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P450: Where did you go naked in hot springs?
    Anyway, I am glad you seized the day. Good talking to you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, lets keep this comment board PG...

    ReplyDelete