Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tuesday May 11, 2010
So I am going to try and do a better job at posting more often during the week. To do this I was trying to think of different things I could do to make sure I post. I decided that this week I am going to give you guys a running account of what I have for each meal down here in Honduras.

I often get a hodgepodge of meals and hopefully you will see this over the next week. I came up with this idea some time ago and have been meaning to do it. So lets get this started.

Monday:
Breakfast: Three baleadas. Baleadas are one of the staples down here in Honduras. They are tortillas that are stuffed with refried beans and butter (called montequilla). There are then bullibaleadas that in addition to the beans and butter have egg and avocado. On this morning I had egg, but no avocado. I add hot sauce for a little more flavor. They are pretty good and are growing on me.
Lunch: I always get lunch at school and today’s school lunch was Asian style beef and vegetables with rice and tortillas. You get tortillas with everything down here. In fact I had tortillas with spaghetti this past weekend.
Dinner: Now this was a hodgepodge and a perfect example of the randomness I sometimes get for dinner. I had a giant plate of French fries, scrambled eggs, and 4 tortillas. The French fries were delicious, but paired with eggs and tortillas you have Honduran randomness. Sounds like something I would eat in college… minus the tortillas…

Tuesday:
Breakfast: Well, I mentioned spaghetti and tortillas above and what did I get for breakfast this morning? Spaghetti and tortillas. It was a spicy spaghetti sauce too. There is definitely no Prego down here—the spaghetti sauce is always something a little different that doesn’t resemble 84 East spaghetti sauc whatsoever. Mmmm spaghetti pie…. Anyway, I had 4 tortillas with my spicy spaghetti. Not a bad start to the day. Oh, and coffee with that spaghetti too.
Lunch: So school lunch today wasn’t that bad, we had some fried chicken (that was actually a little too overcooked) with rice and a salad. It was pretty good and one of my favorite lunch meals we get once every two weeks or so.
Dinner: Now if there is a staple dinner down here this was it: beans, eggs, avocado and tortillas. I had a new cheese with it tonight too that reminded me of a mozzarella stringy-cheese stick, which was good. I usually eat a meal like this by grabbing a bite of beans with some eggs, throw that down, and then bite off a piece of tortilla. But tonight I was feeling lazy and I mixed everything together on my plate and ate it with a bite of tortilla. I sometimes get a hot dog or two or some other type of sausage with this dinner, but not tonight. I usually eat this for dinner 2-3 times a week. It took me a month to get used to it but I throw it down pretty easily now.

Wednesday:
Breakfast: This morning I got what I could eat for breakfast every morning down here—a cup of coffee and three small loaves of this sugar bread. This bread is incredibly good with a cup of coffee; they were made for each other. Delicious.
Lunch: School lunch today was something we’ve only had a handful of times since I’ve been down here. I am pretty sure it is shredded meat (I at first thought it was pork, but the kids told me it was “carne” which is meat) with lemon juice on it with salad and rice. It was pretty good and you have two ways of eating it, mixing it all together or eating a bite of each and then biting off a piece of tortilla. I prefer the latter. I did get ambitious today and was still thirsty after lunch so I tried one of these canned juices that the school sells. I had never tried it before and bought a “Nectar de Manzana” (apple). Boy, I am not going to get that stuff again. You know that syrup that is in the can of mandarin oranges? That is what it tasted like but of the apple variety. A lot of sugar in that stuff.
Dinner: So, repeat on dinner from last night—beans, eggs, and instead of avocado it was two small spicy sausages with tortillas. That is twice this week and its only Wednesday!

1 comment: