Saturday, February 13, 2010

February 13, 2010

Just so you all know I posted a new Picasa web album today of Gracias. Click on the Picasa Web Album on the right to access these pictures and all the others I have posted.

So today has been a pretty low-key day. Me, Rachel, Laura Beth and Julia walked into town and got some lunch and did some shopping. I finally bought a fan to keep in my room to drown out some of the early morning noise outside my door that wakes me up around 7 on the weekends. I am also used to sleeping with a fan back home so it'll be nice to have.

However, I want to let you know about something we experienced while walking down to town. Granted I have had a lot of new experiences down here: constantly dealing with stray dogs, coming across a woman urinating in the middle of the street and it running down her legs and shoes and creating a puddle on the road, talking on the phone at night and having a horse come walking by me eating grass and doing its own thing. All of these were unique and different but I had another experience today on the way to town that was rather entertaining. Every once in a while you come across a horse (as mentioned) or a cow that is wondering around by itself on the street. Well, on the walk to town today the four of us first came across a momma cow and two calves walking down the road to town with no other human in sight. It was a pretty cool experience. Well, shortly thereafter we came across something else: about a dozen or more cows, including some bulls, walking down the road with no one leading them. Rachel and I were booking it down the mountain hoping to make it to the bank before it closed (which we did) so we were a ways in front of Julia and LB, so we first maneuvered our way through the cow maze. Well, we made it through but then LB and Julia made it to the cows and the cows panicked a little bit and started trotting a little quicker, right towards me and Rachel. We held our ground and the cows went around us. So there we were, the four of us, with a large pack of cows in front of us. We eventually came to a fork in the road and the cows took the road less traveled and we were separated, but it was pretty crazy. I was able to record a short video of it on my camera and I am hoping to get it uploaded soon.

Anyway, I thought it might be a story worth reading.

3 comments:

  1. That is hilarious about the cows keeping you from running down the mountain! Please post, would love to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cattle seem to get on the roads in Botswana also, as I gather from the book series that I am currently reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should ask joel sometime about the cow he hit with our rental car in MT. it was a fat american cow. great story (and video), Tad.

    ReplyDelete