Wednesday, February 17, 2010

February 17, 2010

Friends and Family,

Before I left for Honduras I had applied through CIEE, a foreign exchange program, to teach English as a Second Language in Spain. My goal was to have several different possible options when I returned to the United States after Honduras and decided that this could be something I could see myself doing. However, I did not think I would be accepted into the program because they said they were looking for intermediate to advance level Spanish speaking individuals, which did not describe me. Yet, once I found out I was going to Honduras and would have the opportunity to learn Spanish I wrote a letter to CIEE describing what I was doing and my intention of immersing myself in the Hispanic culture in Honduras and to learn Spanish. This letter may or may not have helped my cause but two weeks ago I found out I was accepted into this teach in Spain program.

I only had 10 days to either accept or decline my acceptance and it was a very difficult time for me as I wrestled with my decision. In the end I decided to accept the position and I will be going to Spain this coming August and be there for the entire school year teaching ESL somewhere in southern Spain.
I am now in a waiting period where CIEE is working on finding me a placement in Spain. This will be the next step—CIEE contacting me about a possible placement offer.

I am really looking forward to this experience. It will be a great opportunity to not only improve my Spanish speaking skills (which will only benefit me once I come back to the States) but also give me another year of teaching experience. Along with this, I will be in Europe and have the opportunity to travel. As a social studies teacher I find this to be extremely valuable because when I can talk about places in the world and actually say I have experienced/seen them it allows me to teach in a more meaningful way. Along with this I am extremely excited to be near my uncle and his family who live in Algeciras. I will be the first person in my family to make it to Spain and visit him and his family and I am looking forward to it.

Overall, this was a very difficult decision. Yes, I will gain valuable experience teaching overseas and being in a new and exciting place. But it also means it will be more time, this time an entire academic school year, away from my friends and family and the United States, which I have a new love for after being in Honduras for such a short period of time. Yet, I am excited and ready to see what the future holds.

I want to also take this time to thank all of you who have been keeping up with me while I am down here in Honduras. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read about my experiences down here and that you will continue to do so. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment