Friday, February 19, 2010

February 19, 2010

So I am actually writing this Thursday night, but will be posting it on Friday.

So I had a fun day today, and by fun I mean a very achy and sore day. I can’t imagine what I am going to feel like in the morning. I’ll probably add to this in the morning with how I am feeling.

Now, I am a rather competitive person, and one of the things I greatly missed after I graduated from high school was competing in team sports, specifically soccer, which I played all through high school. When I got to college I was able to play Intramurals in the fall and indoor in the winter, and that was a lot of fun. However, it was only once a week, and I had to miss it every once in a while when school got the best of me. Well, today I got to enjoy some good competitive soccer.

I was able to get my priorities right, along with all of the principals, when I (and them) skipped after school tutoring (the 8th graders don’t have a test this week so it was okay) and played soccer. We first played against the boy’s team for an hour and worked them over pretty good, although they did score a couple of goals on us, which is something they didn’t do last time we played. However, as the game against the boy’s team started to wind down I noticed a group of guys in shorts and t-shirts standing on the sideline looking like they were getting ready to play. Finally Mr. Bran blew his whistle to end practice and Mr. Lara brings everyone together and tells us that the guys on the sidelines are the construction workers who are currently working on the new office building at our school. They wanted to play us. He then went on to say that these guys play constantly in their free time including a league on Sundays in town and that they are really fast. Sweet.

For the next hour I had some of the most intense soccer I’ve played since high school. Not to mention I got worked on several occasions. Which is expected. But pair that with playing on dirt (and a little bit of grass) with it sprinkling, in running shoes with no traction and it is even more of an adventure. By the end of the hour match, which we lost probably 11-6 or so, I was bleeding from both knees and one elbow and had a strawberry on my right side. Not to mention my shoes were caked in dirt and I had dirt on my face. Consider the day seized.

But tomorrow will be a sore day—at least it is Friday so I have the weekend to heal.

Friday update:
Yeah, I could barely get out of bed this morning. I couldn’t sleep on my right side last night because I took a nasty spill and the bruises and strawberries were too much to sleep on. But I am feeling good. More importantly, my ankle, although still a little painful, is feeling much better and I think I’ll try a run in Celaque today after school.

Adios for now.

1 comment:

  1. Clean all those scrapes with disinfectant, if you haven't already done so. And watch for infection!!!! As your mom, I can say this.

    ReplyDelete